Our Trip!

Follow the intrepid 6 ladies and 3 men from Cisco as they adventure deep into western Kenya. Will the orphanage ever be the same? I hope not, we're looking forward to new buildings and new skills learnt! Will we ever be the same, for sure not but it will enrich us and make us better people, friends and family members ;-)

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day One!

Well actually not day one at all, but its the day I've started doing the blog and the trip feels real so it is day one really as far as I'm concerned. I feel like Brigitte Jones but just writing a different type of diary!

As terry (founder of the orphanage) is talking to us today and showing us slides I'm realising the magnitude of what we are undertaking. I love my creature comforts and I realise I'm not going to have any of them and well I may go hungry for a couple of days if spinach and eggs is what we get but you know what it's probably going to feel pretty good on day three and if its good enough for those poor orphans its good enough for me... by the way I'm saying all of this having just eaten a curry and having swigged a couple of V & O's so easy for me to say sitting in my nice cosy bed with my tummy full right.

So I was thinking as Terry was showing us the loos, oh my goodness what is my poor hubby going to do, I mean we are talking OCD overload when it comes to the bathroom. This is a man that is worried about carpet bugs if you put your toilet roll on the bottom of the stairs. Sorry hubby if I've just embarrassed you but I've already told that story to everyone we know anyway ;-) I remember when we were on our honeymoon how he screamed when we found a frog in our room, fun times ahead enough said, this is probably going to be the funniest thing ever just because of Wrighty stories, he is just a natural born comedian it has to be said. I love the way he takes the mickey out of himself so I'm sure he is going to be a huge hit with the children such huge energy. Guess what's going to be in his suitcase when we go, yep, monster munch, pot noodles and hand sanitizer!!!!

I'm in a dreamlike state where it doesnt feel real and I'm really apprehensive but at the same time I'm totally excited too. Carried away by the idea that we really could make a difference. The blooming video was so moving I was already in tears and I havent even got on a plane yet. I've already rung up Connors school to see if I can get them engaged, not so much on raising money although that would be nice but I think it would be great for them to link up to the children and exchange letters and pictures.

So whats next, well jabs, tablets, a list of things to take, what to wear and what not to and as much fundraising as we can manage between now and end of November. What an adventure. What shall we call our intrepid band of adventurers, the naughty nine?

www.hopeandkindness.org/

Till next time.

T

No comments:

Post a Comment