Our Trip!

Follow the intrepid 6 ladies and 3 men from Cisco as they adventure deep into western Kenya. Will the orphanage ever be the same? I hope not, we're looking forward to new buildings and new skills learnt! Will we ever be the same, for sure not but it will enrich us and make us better people, friends and family members ;-)

Friday, November 26, 2010

D-DAY!

No more sleeps! Wow this has come around so quickly. It really sunk in yesterday as we started to take the malarone tablets – 1 a day now until a week after we return. I bet them blinkin mozzies already know I’m comin’! They’ll have been fasting waiting for my blinkin blood – they love me!

So what's new - well firstly, with the amount of business travel I’ve done over the last 5 weeks (away for 3 of them) I’ve not been able to get myself motivated to get into the gym – so I thought “why not have a go with Tania’s personal trainer?” Bad idea! Especially when I heard her telling him she’d pay double if he made me throw-up! Well, he didn’t quite manage that, but not far off - for the last 2 days I’ve been walking like a man of 90 in high heels! Oh the pain. I'm nearly recovered just in time for the 26hr door-to-door journey.

I called in at the mountaineering shop on the way home from the office yesterday – just to see if there were any last minute gadgets I forgotten – nope, got them all I soon realised. However, I did purchase one item I think could be invaluable – a torch on a strap to fit around you head – for nocturnal comfort breaks you see! Can you imagine going to the loo in pitch black, holding a torch – let’s not go there! Anyway, case solved. I also called in at a games shop - bought a couple of packs of cards, game of liar dice... stuff to keep us occupied at night once all the kids have gone to bed. Though one problem – there’s no alcohol!! Yep – a week of abstinence! Ouch! Actually, that’s just what I need - I need a break before the Christmas holiday celebrations.

The other exciting purchase was in Costco at the weekend – a 5kg party pack (mega-tub!) of sweets.... 5kg! Oh, I also bought a 2kg of Halibro & 2 kg of Jelly Belly jelly beans! 9kg! I’ll have to find room in my bag somewhere, though that’s 30% of my weight allowance! So what - the children will absolutely love them, and us of course!

So that’ll please the kids - and I’ve just seen a mail which’ll please the adults – we’re taking 2,000 flavoured condoms kindly donated by Boots – WOW! How long will 2,000 condoms last – now that’s what we all want to know! I hope we don’t get searched when we land – can you imagine the looks/questions... 6 girls, 3 blokes & 2,000 condoms! "So exactly how long are you planning to be in Kenya?" OK, not politically correct, but hey, you got to see the funny side :)

Good news... Virgin are giving us all access to their lounge! I think we’ll be on a mission to drink our weight in Champagne before we get on the plane – now that’ll ruin our chance of an upgrade! OK, I’ll have to settle one-to-three of their delicious burger & chips – our last supper before a week of ground maize flour & spinach. Actually – the food at Hope & Kindness looks great, and I can’t wait to help out in the kitchen – I might even spice everyone’s meal up from the 500ml bottle of Tabasco I bought (also from Costco at the weekend!).

Right – got to rush.. got to finishing packing (not that I’ve got any room left after all those sweets!), and a last tidy-up of my Movember.

Blog you later, from the Virgin Lounge!

Wrighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment